Capital Craft Beer Academy has so much to offer with 160 craft beers, burgers, ribs & a relaxed atmosphere under the trees in the Greenlyn Village Centre, Menlo Park.
Not sure what to order we started off with a tasting of 6 very different craft beers. Our waiter PJ Waugh impressed us with his extensive knowledge of the different beers available which made this more of an experience. Who knew that beer could be that interesting.
The beers in our tasting are from all over with one very special home grown beer from Silverton, Pretoria.
- Brickfields Brewing Co (Johannesburg) - Easy drinking light-bodied larger with a sweet finish
- Citizen (Cape Town) - Alliance American Amber Ale - Easy drinking light-bodied Ale with a sweet caramel & pine finish
- Devil's Peak (Cape Town) - King's Blockhouse IPA - Our favourite is the flagship beer with pine, passionfruit, eucalyptus & citrus notes
- Drayman's (Pretoria) - Altstadt Weissbier - Pleasant banana, clove and nutmeg taste
- Het Anker (Belgium) - Carolus Gouden Classic - Dark Ale with a molasses aftertaste
- Lindemans (Belgium) - Kriek - Sweet cherry fiz pop aftertaste.
Some other interesting items we found was the most expensive beer at R500 for 500ml - the Baladin. And the highest in alcohol is the Brewdog at 16.5%.
If you are more of a wine drinker you will be happy to know that they also have great wine options. After our tasting we each ordered our favourite beer, the Devil's Peak & the Drayman's, and had some Jalapeño poppers to start - Spicy jalapeños stuffed with cheddar cheese, cream cheese and peppers, battered and deep fried with a chutney mustard mayo (R48).
We then opted for the two burgers in association with, Jack Parow & Francois van Coke, with R15 of each of "their" burgers sold donated to the baby therapy centre charity in Lynnwood, Pretoria.
- Jack Stack by Jack Parow (R85) - 2 x 120g patties. The first topped with roasted pepper relish & a large onion ring filled with our pepper Richelieu sauce. The second stacked on top covered with pepper Richelieu sauce served with mayo, tomato, onion, pickles and lettuce.
- Van Coke Smoke by Francois van Coke (R85) - 200g smoked patty topped with smoked mozzarella, smoked bacon & guacamole served with mayo, tomato, onion, pickles & lettuce.
Other delicious options are:
- Southern-Style Smoked Ribs (R90 for 500g) - Free range, Southern-Style, slow cooked ribs, finished off in their legendary IRON-MAIDEN wood smoker.
- Pulled Pork Sandwich (R65) - Pulled pork tossed in our in house BBQ sauce, topped with coleslaw & served on a roasted brioche bun
- Spicy Portuguese Prego (R70) - Tenderized rump grilled with creamy Prego sauce on our home-baked Portuguese bun.
- If you are looking for an experience, Capital Craft is the place. They know what they are doing. We had a great day and enjoyed learning about beer.